How can we help?
Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you are a large organization with multiple employees in different geographic regions or a single user in one location, we can accommodate any volume of work without any prior notification. Our network of typists work around the clock to ensure you will always have a quick and easy completion of your transcription needs.
Typically, transcription documents are returned in about 3 hours.
Single Speaker audio and video files
We charge 1.5 cents per word on single speaker audio and video files, as well as pdfs submitted for transcription, where only 1 person is speaking.
Multi-Speaker audio and video files
We charge 2.25 cents per word on multiple speaker audio and video files, where 2 or more people are speaking.
New accounts are typically ready to use within a few minutes after you sign up. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Support at (800) 828-3889.
No. You don’t need special equipment to use our service.
If you have a smart phone, you can use our app to submit audio.
If you don’t have a smart phone, you can use a regular telephone to dictate and an email account to receive your completed documents. You can call the toll-free dictation line at (800) YOU-DICTATE or (800) 968-3428.
You can also submit files that you have recorded on other devices, using our web upload app.
You can use any phone from any location to call SpeakWrite: car phone, cell phone, pay phone, office phone, etc.
No problem. It costs you absolutely nothing to have an account. You only pay for the work that our typists produce. You can use the system once a year or three times a day, whatever fits your pace and your needs.
- .wma, .mp3, .mp4, .m4v
- .wav (must be PCM or Microsoft ADPCM format)
- .wmv, .avi, .mov, mpeg
- .dss, .dss2
- .asf, .aif, .aiff
- Adobe Acrobat (PDF) files
- RealAudio (RA or RM) files
- Sony (DVF or MSV) files
- AMR files
- Apple (CAF or M4A) files
- 3GP Files
- Express Scribe (DCT)
No. You can submit your work any time, any day of the year, and expect to receive it in about three hours. Pricing remains the same.
SpeakWrite utilizes a unique pool of US-based typists who create work schedules that allow for around-the-clock coverage.
Your dictation is transmitted over secure lines to a randomly chosen typist to be transcribed, and your completed draft is emailed back to you. As an added feature, you can indicate that you want your work to be accessible only by your password once it is completed and returned to your email address.
Safeguarding client data, including Protected Health Information (PHI), is a top priority at SpeakWrite. Our privacy & security policies and procedures adhere to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 as outlined below.
The HIPAA Privacy Rule
SpeakWrite does not facilitate health care treatment, payment or operations for our clients but does process client dictations and documents that contain Protected Health Information (PHI). Therefore, we approach HIPAA’s Privacy Rule with the level of emphasis that is expected from all business associates of covered entities. Specifically, we use appropriate safeguards to prevent unauthorized use or disclosure of PHI.
In addition to maintaining strict technical standards under the HIPAA Security Rule, SpeakWrite employees and typists must master an extensive set of procedures which includes information pertaining to security, privacy and confidentiality. Examples of activities that are specifically prohibited include:
- Disclosing any client information, including PHI, for any purpose
- Discussing client information in public or private with any person for any reason
- Attempting to contact or contacting clients or anyone connected to them for any reason
- Generating written or printed copies of any client work
- Maintaining any computer file or other record of client materials
- Leaving client information open to view by unauthorized persons
- Document the permitted and required uses of PHI, as required by the Privacy Rule
- Contractually agree that SpeakWrite will not use or further disclose the PHI other than as permitted or required by the contract or as required by law
SpeakWrite educates all employees and typists on the importance of protecting client information. All SpeakWrite employees and typists take HIPAA training, and sign confidentiality agreements that reinforce our privacy policies and procedures.
The HIPAA Security Rule
This rule concerns security of Electronic Protected Health Information. There are three types of security safeguards outlined in HIPAA: Administrative, Physical and Technical.
SpeakWrite adheres to the following Administrative Safeguards:
- SpeakWrite has a Privacy Officer to develop HIPAA-related policies and monitor and enforce compliance of those policies by SpeakWrite employees and typists. The Privacy Officer oversees the implementation of HIPAA and security awareness training for employees and typists, as well as prevention, detection, containment and correction of security violations. The Privacy Officer, in conjunction with the VP of Technology, continually assess and manage security risks in accordance with SpeakWrite’s risk management procedures.
- The SpeakWrite system restricts access to PHI to individuals who have the required access authority and appropriate clearances.
- SpeakWrite encrypts all data during transmission and at rest using industry best practices.
- SpeakWrite deploys our systems through Microsoft Azure’s Government Cloud and utilizes their best practices for data center operation.
- SpeakWrite maintains and regularly reviews security policies and procedures and updates our systems to follow the current industry best practices and applicable laws.
Yes! You can find our SpeakWrite reviews here!
We transcribe audio and video files for a wide variety of industries:
- Multi-Speaker Transcription
- Legal Transcription
- Protective Services Transcription
- Spanish Transcription
- Meeting Transcriptions
- Political Debate
- Current Event Transcription
- Court Transcription
- Body Cam Transcription
- Financial Transcription
- Insurance Transcription
- …and so much more!